For the loving dog owner, a hiking trip with their dog is one of the most relaxing and refreshing outdoor activities. The sunlight and the fresh air can work wonders both for mind, body, and spirit, and it also involves a great deal of healthy exercise for both you and your pup. There are few things as rejuvenating as going out on an adventure with your best friend.
A hiking trip with your dog is not without a little risk and peril, and it does demand a few cautionary measures: a good hiking plan, proper gear and equipment, and a loyal furbaby by your side.
The best way to make sure that you never let your dog out of your sight is to use a specialized dog leash for hiking. There are a variety of hiking dog leashes to choose from, and based on your dog’s breed, size or personality, we’ll highlight some of the best options for all dogs out there.
Here are our top picks for dog leashes for hiking:
1. Tuff Mutt Hands Free Dog Leash
Latest Price: $22
Tuff Mutt Hands Free Dog Leash:
The belt clip is durable and easily slides along the lightweight belt strap, allowing more mobility and freedom. The four-foot leash can extend up to five feet, allowing for a sufficiently spacious area for your dog to run around in. It comes with a durable bungee, which minimizes the jolt of the dog pull and absorbs shock. It’s best suited for medium to large dog breeds. The handles are conveniently placed and allow for very efficient control. It comes with a built-in luminous reflective thread, making sure you and your dog remain visible in the evening to help provide some extra safety.
Size: 48″ Long x 1″ Wide
Brand: Tuff Mutt
- The leash comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- It allows the mobility of both arms during hiking. You can use your hands for balance and support while climbing.
- Unlike most other hands-free leashes, it also provides a good control mechanism.
- This leash is not suitable for smaller breeds.
2. Pet Dreamland Running Dog Leash
Latest Price: $29
Pet Dreamland Running Dog Leash:
This leash is targeted mainly towards smaller to medium-sized dogs. It comes with three bungee cords that absorb all the jolting effect and is very comfortable to operate. It is retractable and comes with an adjustable waist belt, which is convenient for running and jogging as well. It can be used as a hands-free leash but also comes with two comfortable neoprene padded handles.
Size: All Dogs (15 – 150 lbs)
Colors: Green, Red, Pink, Orange, Blue
Brand: Pet Dreamland
- These leashes are convenient for trail-running athletes or active hikers.
- The leash can be elongated and contracted by simply tying and untying knots.
- This leash isn’t as sturdy as many others on this list.
- The leash doesn’t come with a built-in collar.
3. Uppetly Hands Free Dog Running Leash
Latest Price: $15
Uppetly Hands Free Dog Running Leash:
It’s a hands-free dog leash with a durable and adjustable waist belt that can be adjusted between sizes 27 inches to 50 inches. It comes with shock-absorbing dual bungee material and can absorb a pull force of up to 150 pounds. It has two handles with soft neoprene padding and a firm grip, including one on the collar. It’s very efficient in terms of control. It has a strip of luminous reflective coating that is visible in the dark. This makes for a very efficient safety measure. It is 52 inches long and can extend up to 70 inches, making it a good fit for dogs of all sizes.
Size: Up to 70″
Colors: Blue and Grey
- It is very cost-effective as compared to the other leashes in this list.
- The shock-absorbing mechanism facilitates easy hands-free hiking with larger dogs.
- The elastic bungee material can cause muscle fatigue.
4. Chunky Paw Hands Free Dog Leash
Latest Price: $20
Chunky Paw Hands Free Dog Leash:
It is explicitly designed to train dogs to adapt to body movements. The waist belt is adjustable between 27 inches and 48 inches and comes with three different rings that can be hooked on to the buckle for maximum comfort. It is very durable, as the belt is made out of solid nylon webbing, and the rings are made of stainless steel. This leash is a good fit for medium and larger breeds. It comes with two soft and comfortable neoprene padded handles. The handles are conveniently placed for efficient control. There is also a built-in reflective thread for safety purposes.
Size: Up to 48″
Color: Grey, Blue Green, Red, Teal
Brand: Chunky Paw
Material: Nylon, Stainless Steel, Neoprene
- It is very useful for training purposes.
- It offers a very efficient control mechanism with its two handles.
- Unlike other leashes on this list, this one prioritizes the comfort of the owner over that of the dog.
- The mechanism might be a bit too sophisticated.
5. Pet Dreamland Hands Free Double Dog Leash
Latest Price: $39
Pet Dreamland Hands Free Double Dog Leash:
This leash is well suited for small and medium breeds that weigh between 15 to 35 pounds. It is a double leash and can be used to walk two dogs at the same time. It comes with a 360-degree swivel splitter, which prevents the two leashes from getting twisted or tangled up. The length of the leash can be adjusted to provide the dogs with more room to run around. For this purpose, the leash comes with an extra ring. The leash can again be shortened by tying it up in knots. The leash extender can be connected to your belt buckle or a neoprene padded handle, based on your needs.
Size: Two Small-Medium Dogs (15-35 lbs each)
Colors: Green, Red, Pink, Orange, Green
Brand: Pet Dreamland
- Best option for multiple dogs.
- In case the two dogs are of different sizes, the leash might pose some issues.
Jeremy Alderman is an outdoor enthusiast in Scottsdale, Arizona. He writes on all things camping, hiking, outdoor sports, and travel. His weekends are often filled exploring the desert with his wife Madison and their 3-year-old German Shepherd rescue, Grace. His favorite spot in all of North America is the Oregon Coast.
You must be logged in to post a comment.