Looking for a new water filter for your next adventure? These portable water filters can turn dirty & potentially harmful water from ponds, lakes, and streams into safe and clean drinkable water.
These filters are suitable for day hikes and long backpacking trips. Water filters are quick and easy for a trip on the go, or for a well planned out trip. It’s helpful to have as a backup plan. If your hiking trip has a lot of rain in the forecast, boiling water over a fire may be a frustrating process. Here is a list of some best water filters for hiking in 2021.
Latest Price: $29
LifeStraw Personal Water Filter:
This water filter is durable as it does not make use of any chemicals. It is known to clean up to 1000 gallons of water before the need to replace it arises. If you are not having any drinking pouch or transfer hose, then you can also submerge this in water and use it as a straw to drink water directly.
- Filter percentage: Removes 99.9 percent of microplastics, protozoa, and bacteria
- Life Span: 1000 gallons of water
- Suitable for weight-conscious hikers as it is very light-weight
- Works well even without drinking bladders and transfer hose
- The straw can be difficult to use
Latest Price: $99
MSR Microfilter Water Filter:
It is a water filter that uses carbon and ceramic filter to remove up to 99.9 percent of germs and other harmful contaminants, including bacteria, organic material, and particulates. This filter of carbon and ceramic is replaceable and helps in providing you with clean drinking water. The hand pump provided in this filter processes and gives one-liter water in a minute. To store the filtered water, you need to attach the base to the hose supplied with it. In case you are carrying a compatible large-mouthed water bottle or hydration system along, you can directly mount the filtered water to it.
- Filter percentage: Removes up to 99.9 percent of germs and bacteria
- Weight and Dimensions: Weighs one pound and is 2.75 inches in diameter and 7.5 inches tall
- Provides filtered water with the speed of one liter per minute.
- Provides drinkable water that is 99.9 percent free of harmful contaminants.
- It is lightweight, suitable for carrying anywhere and everywhere.
- Speed decreases with increased pressure in the filter chamber.
- No warranty available.
Latest Price: $119
Platypus GravityWorks Filter System:
Here is a high-capacity filtration system that takes out all the possible dirt present in your water to make it safe and clean drinking water. In this filter, all you have to do is fill the “dirty” bladder with water, attach the tubes provided, the filtration chamber, and the “clean” bladder. The rest will get done by gravity. This fantastic water filter is readily available at Amazon. You can purchase the bottle adapters, taste-removing carbon elements, and replacement parts separately.
- Filter percentage: Removes up to 99.9 percent of any harmful protozoa or bacteria present.
- Weight: It is a thin bladder-like filter system having the weight of up to 4 liters of water (4 liters of dirty water filtered into 4 liters of clean water.
- Has a speed of filtering 1.75 liters per minute
- Fills 4-liter bag with clean water in 2.5 minutes.
- Other replacements and filtration parts are to be purchased separately.
- The filter is made of plastic that adds wear and tear over time.
Latest Price: $65
Survivor Filter Pro:
Here is the master of all water filtration systems with a compact hand pump that uses three separate filtration units. It provides clean and safe drinking water without any fail at a rate of 500 milliliters per minute. It is efficient in removing dangerous protozoa and algae with the help of a 0.1-micron pre-filter. Along with that, there is another primary filter of 0.01 micron that efficiently removes 99.9 percent of viruses. Both these filters come with a life span of 100,000 liters. The third filter is carbon and eliminates heavy pollutants like metals and chemicals having a lifespan of 2000 liters.
- Filter percentage: Comes with three separate filters providing a 99.9 percent clean water
- The life span of filters: Two filters come with a life span of 100,000 liters and the third one with 2000 liters.
- It filters everything harmful, from algae, bacteria, protozoa, to viruses.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty.
- A cup and a storage bag accompany the filter system.
- Compact and lightweight to carry.
- Entirely made out of plastic.
- Has design flaws in pump handle, keeps breaking.
- Processes filtered water at a slow rate – 500 milliliters per minute.
Latest Price: $20
Sawyer Mini Water Filter:
This filter comes in handy when you have extra luggage and have a small space for a water filter. This filtration system can get attached to any drinking pouch, straw, or disposable water bottle. It is found effective in removing 99.9 percent of protozoa and bacteria and 100 percent of microplastics.
- Filter Percentage: Removes 99.9 percent of bacteria and protozoa
- Life Span: Filters 100,000 gallons of water, works for a lifetime.
- The need to replace will never arise
- Every filter gets tested before made available for sale.
- Additional drinking pouches and adapters have to be purchased separately
- Default in designing, keep breaking, constant need to replace
Latest Price: $75
Katadyn Hiker Microfilter:
This is among the best choices available for those with low-priced budgets as it comes with good durability. It has lasted for around six years before having to replace it. The design is effective in removing protozoa, bacteria, chemicals, and much more. The carbon inside the water filter improves the taste of water.
- Filter percentage: Removes everything harmful effectively
- Weight: 11 ounces
- Extremely durable product at a relatively low price
- Improves the taste of water
- No constant need for backflushing
- Instant water filtration
- Requires you to operate it manually
Many people love hiking, and they do not wish to cut down on hiking places that do not offer good drinking water. Hence, the need for a sound water filtration system arises. You can use them anywhere you go to filter the water available near you. These filter systems keep you hydrated throughout the hiking and will encourage you to explore more. Ensure to grab some flowing water, particularly from rivers and streams, as they will have less harmful bacteria, protozoa, and algae than water from a stagnant water body. Here’s a tip to purchasing a sound water filter system, read the reviews before buying anything. You will get numerous reviews of these products as they are easily available on Amazon.
Jeremy Alderman is an outdoor enthusiast in Scottsdale, Arizona. He writes on all things camping, hiking, outdoor sports, and travel. His weekends are often filled exploring the desert with his wife Madison and their 3-year-old German Shepherd rescue, Grace. His favorite spot in all of North America is the Oregon Coast.